What's this blog about?

I teach several courses under the broad topic of "Multicultural Education," prioritizing social justice issues of access, power/privilege, & narrowing the academic achievement gap. I am a person of color and I almost always have a white co-teacher. We include topics, such as: racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism, ethnocentrism, deculturalization, transforming curriculum, etc. This is a place where I post information that we teach; lesson plans for activities; and resources we use and/or which are shared with me by my adult students.

Monday, February 1, 2016

11 of the Most Culturally Appropriated South Asian Accessories – And What They Really Mean

These are only "headlines."  If you are interested in details, please link to the whole article.
http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/01/south-asian-accessories-mean/

While it looked cool to my friends when they sported a bindi, I could not help but feel strange about it, like an invasion of space.

When is it acceptable to wear a Bindi?

  • If you are getting married to a South Asian
  • If you attend an Indian festival/ritual and have a vermillion dot placed on you as a sign of welcoming one’s guest
Which was why I was defiant in school when I was told to remove my nose ring after piercing my nose at fifteen. I did it to commemorate my very first trip to the homeland.

When is it acceptable to wear a Nath?

  • When it is not a bridal nose ring being worn as a fashion accessory (the other styles are just fine)
  • If it is a part of your own culture

These hefty accessories are meant to accentuate the rhythm of dance and to appreciate the complex footwork for the forms of Indian dance.

When is it acceptable to wear a Paayal?

  • If your culture wears them as an accessory like us
  • If you are an Indian dancer or a South Asian bride

When is it acceptable to wear Chudiyaan?

  • If you are in attendance of a Hindu friend’s matrimonial functions and the dress code is Indian ethnic – but be sure to check with your host first
South Asian women across the world and from all walks of life wear them at home, during an occasion, while in attendance of prayer, or at the workplace.

When is it acceptable to wear a saree?

  • If you are in attendance of an Indian function that stipulates Indian ethnic attire. It would be advisable to get a hand with how to wear one properly since it takes some effort.
  • Please do not wear this for Halloween.

When is it acceptable to wear a Bichiya toe ring?

  • If you are married to a South Asian.
The Aum is used everywhere now – and not as it should be.

When is it acceptable to wear the Aum?

  • If you sport one as a pendant, bangle, bracelet, or a tattoo (be mindful of its placement) and are a practicing Hindu

When is it acceptable to get a tattoo of a Hindu God?

  • While I am deeply appreciative of tattoo culture, it would be advisable to get these tattoos only if they hold a deep significance to you
  • Please mind where you place them on your body. The legs are considered the dirtiest part of one’s body, and getting one on your back is frowned upon.
Henna
The issue here is not the use of the plant; it is the convenient fashioning that inadvertently erases the cultural significance of this ritual that is a bother.
So if you are not a person of color, I would caution you against wearing this for an “Indianized” look – I don’t even know what that term is supposed to mean. It is offensive, but I have read it one too many times. Here’s looking at you, Madonna.