RESOURCES and LESSONS for TEACHING ABOUT SOCIAL JUSTICE - especially race, ethnicity, and culture. You will find MANY LINKS TO SITES & ARTICLES, BUT ONLY THE FIRST FEW PARAGRAPHS (due to copyright laws), so please press the link to read the articles in their entirety. TO SEARCH, use the "SEARCH BY LABEL OR CATEGORY" section in the right column.
What's this blog about?
I teach several courses under the broad topic of "Multicultural Education," prioritizing social justice issues of access, power/privilege, & narrowing the academic achievement gap. I am a person of color and I almost always have a white co-teacher. We include topics, such as: racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism, ethnocentrism, deculturalization, transforming curriculum, etc. This is a place where I post information that we teach; lesson plans for activities; and resources we use and/or which are shared with me by my adult students.
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
LGBT Asian and Pacific Islander Stories
Coming out.
Asian & Pacific
Islander Family Stories, a 44-minute color video (DVD) featuring
interviews of one Filipino and three Chinese families and a dialogue
among parents of these gay children. Speaking in English, the families
talk about shame, grief, love, growth, the importance of family and how
they handled their conflicts around homosexuality. http://www.apifamilypride.org/api-library/video