http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/02/how-white-queers-can-be-more-inclusive-of-queer-poc/
As a minority group that regularly battles prejudice, violence, and
ignorance from governments, hate groups, and the like, LGBTQ people know
what it’s like to be discriminated against.
That’s why the gay community tends to pride itself on being anti-discriminatory and accepting of people from all walks of life.
Unfortunately, the gay community is not devoid of casual racism. Even
though, in theory, people should know better, certain forms of racism
in the LGBTQ community have become so normalized that they get brushed
off as minor.
Before I go on, let me define the kind of racism I’m talking about to
avoid confusion. Racism, in an institutional sense, is race-based
discrimination from a position of power or privilege.
This means that a gay person with white privilege can be racist toward gay people of color and people of color in general.
I’m not talking about mustache twirling, KKK-grade, Hitler level
racism that’s so obvious anyone with any sense of human decency would
banish it from their mind.
I’m talking about the “little” things, like the fetishization of
black men by gay white men, the stigmatization of Asian men by gay men
of other races, mainstream LGBTQ campaigns with little racial awareness,
and racial “preferences” that can be innocuous, but at times reflect an underlying prejudice.
This article goes on to detail how you can make sure that LGBTQ
spaces are as safe and inclusive for everyone as possible with three
steps you can take to support people of color and be more racially
aware.
RESOURCES and LESSONS for TEACHING ABOUT SOCIAL JUSTICE - especially race, ethnicity, and culture. You will find MANY LINKS TO SITES & ARTICLES, BUT ONLY THE FIRST FEW PARAGRAPHS (due to copyright laws), so please press the link to read the articles in their entirety. TO SEARCH, use the "SEARCH BY LABEL OR CATEGORY" section in the right column.
What's this blog about?
I teach several courses under the broad topic of "Multicultural Education," prioritizing social justice issues of access, power/privilege, & narrowing the academic achievement gap. I am a person of color and I almost always have a white co-teacher. We include topics, such as: racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism, ethnocentrism, deculturalization, transforming curriculum, etc. This is a place where I post information that we teach; lesson plans for activities; and resources we use and/or which are shared with me by my adult students.
Monday, February 18, 2013
How White LGBTQ People Can Be More Inclusive of People of Color
Labels:
Article/Summary,
Heterosexism,
LGBT,
Privilege,
Race/Racism,
Theory,
Violence