RESOURCES and LESSONS for TEACHING ABOUT SOCIAL JUSTICE - especially race, ethnicity, and culture.
You will find MANY LINKS TO SITES & ARTICLES, BUT ONLY THE FIRST FEW PARAGRAPHS (due to copyright laws), so please press the link to read the articles in their entirety.
TO SEARCH, use the "SEARCH BY LABEL OR CATEGORY" section in the right column.
What's this blog about?
I teach several courses under the broad topic of "Multicultural Education," prioritizing social justice issues of access, power/privilege, & narrowing the academic achievement gap. I am a person of color and I almost always have a white co-teacher. We include topics, such as: racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism, ethnocentrism, deculturalization, transforming curriculum, etc. This is a place where I post information that we teach; lesson plans for activities; and resources we use and/or which are shared with me by my adult students.
Thursday, July 17, 2014
If _____ Said the Stuff White People Said
Every race has
its own annoyingly repetitive tropes to deal with: for Latinos, it's
often things like, "I love your accent," or, from the spoof, "I hooked
up with a white guy once. He was crazy!" There's always the,"if you went
to a really good college it must be because of your race," bit of
offensiveness, too.
If African Americans Said the Stuff White People Said