Assessing My Culture: Who Am I? http://www.tolerance.org/activity/assessing-my-culture-who-am-i?newsletter=TT060711 This is the first of a three-part series for education professionals interested in engaging their colleagues around issues of culture and how it manifests in the classroom.
"Assessing My Culture: Who am I?" is the first presentation in the series Moving from Cultural Competence to Cultural Proficiency. We’ve designed it for teacher leaders, professional learning groups, staff development coordinators and other educators interested in engaging their colleagues around issues of culture and how it manifests in the classroom.
RESOURCES and LESSONS for TEACHING ABOUT SOCIAL JUSTICE - especially race, ethnicity, and culture. You will find MANY LINKS TO SITES & ARTICLES, BUT ONLY THE FIRST FEW PARAGRAPHS (due to copyright laws), so please press the link to read the articles in their entirety. TO SEARCH, use the "SEARCH BY LABEL OR CATEGORY" section in the right column.
What's this blog about?
I teach several courses under the broad topic of "Multicultural Education," prioritizing social justice issues of access, power/privilege, & narrowing the academic achievement gap. I am a person of color and I almost always have a white co-teacher. We include topics, such as: racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism, ethnocentrism, deculturalization, transforming curriculum, etc. This is a place where I post information that we teach; lesson plans for activities; and resources we use and/or which are shared with me by my adult students.