What's this blog about?

I teach several courses under the broad topic of "Multicultural Education," prioritizing social justice issues of access, power/privilege, & narrowing the academic achievement gap. I am a person of color and I almost always have a white co-teacher. We include topics, such as: racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism, ethnocentrism, deculturalization, transforming curriculum, etc. This is a place where I post information that we teach; lesson plans for activities; and resources we use and/or which are shared with me by my adult students.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Roxbury, MA in the News for Turning School Around

The Surprisingly Simple Change in Massachusetts
There's a widely held assumption that hiring more security guards (with guns!) will solve violence and other problems in our schools. After one school churned through five principals in seven years and become known as a "dropout factory," a principal decided to turn that idea on its head. The results are absolutely miraculous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5apq8l9OoR8

Artist with Physical Disabilities in New Jersey